Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Movie Review-The 400 Blows

Title-"The 400 Blows"

Rating-Not Rated

Director-Francois Truffaut

Actors- Jean-Pierre Leaud, Claire Maurier, Albert Remy, Guy Decomble, Patrick Auffay

Genre-Drama/Foreign (French with English subtitles)

Year-1959



"The 400 Blows" is one of my favorite movies. I watched it for the first time three years ago, and it completely blew me away. What I noticed most about the movie was how modern it seemed compared to Hollywood movies made around the same time. It looked like it could have been made at any time, not just in the 1950's. "The 400 Blows" is about a thirteen-year-old boy from Paris named Antoine (Jean-Pierre Leaud) who is very smart and creative, but misunderstood by everyone around him. His parents (Claire Maurier and Albert Remy) barely notice him at home, and his teacher (Guy Decomble) is always convinced Antoine is up to something. Feeling alone, Antoine starts committing petty crimes with his best friend Rene (Patrick Auffay). I don't want to give too much away about the story. One of the best things about this movie is the acting, especially by Jean-Pierre Leaud. His performance as Antoine is probably one of the best performances of all-time by a child actor, definitely one of the best I've ever seen. I don't think I've seen a movie that has a more natural and moving portrayal of a kid. If the ending doesn't make you feel something, you don't have a heart. You'll probably have to look for it, but I really recommend watching "The 400 Blows".








No comments: