Thursday, January 23, 2014

Movie Review-Frances Ha





Rating-R

Director-Noah Baumbach

Actors-Greta Gerwig, Mickey Sumner, Patrick Heusinger, Adam Driver, Michael Zegen

Genre-Comedy/Drama

Year-2013

I loved the movie “Frances Ha”. It is about a twenty-seven-year-old woman named Frances (Greta Gerwig) who is trying to become a dancer in New York. Frances shares an apartment with her best friend Sophie (Mickey Sumner) and mostly finds work teaching dance classes. When Sophie decides to move in with her boyfriend, Frances starts to struggle financially, and stays with friends (Adam Driver and Michael Zegen). I liked how honest this movie feels. Through much of the movie, Frances feels like she is falling behind Sophie, who seems to be growing up and becoming a “real adult”. I also liked that while the movie didn’t ignore the challenges in Frances’s life, it avoided becoming too sad. There was a good balance of comedy and drama, with some witty dialogue in the screenplay. The movie also had very good performances by Mickey Sumner, Adam Driver (who I almost didn’t recognize after seeing his performance as Adam on the TV show “Girls”), and especially by Greta Gerwig, whose performance as Frances is one of my favorites of last year. “Frances Ha” is available on Netflix and I really recommend watching it.
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5






No comments: