Thursday, January 13, 2011

Biggest Oscar Snubs

Here are the biggest Oscar snubs (in my opinion):

1962:
A Raisin In The Sun, the 1961 film starring Sidney Poitier, was not nominated for any Oscars. I saw this movie last year and I thought it was awesome, especially the acting by Sidney Potier and Claudia McNeil, who I think should have been nominated for Best Actor and Actress. I also think it should have been nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay.

1986:
The Color Purple, the 1985 film starring Whoopi Goldberg and Danny Glover, was nominated for 11 Oscars and didn't win any. I thought that even if it didn't win Best Picture or Whoopi Goldberg didn't win Best Actress, it would have won Best Original Song or Oprah Winfrey would have won Best Supporting Actress for her performance. I watched Out Of Africa last year, the movie that won most of the awards at the Oscars that year. I thought that Out Of Africa was good, but definitely not deserving of all the Oscars it recieved.

2000:
Fight Club, the 1999 film starring Edward Norton and Brad Pitt, was nominated for Best Sound Effects, but was left out of the Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score, and Best Picture categories. I think that even though it was probably very unlikely that Fight Club would be nominated for Best Picture or Best Original Score, it definitely should have been nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. I don't really understand how American Beauty won so many of the awards that year. I thought it was good, I guess, but not amazing, like it was hyped to be. I guess that most of the Academy voters thought that Fight Club was too "edgy" and weren't ready for it, although when you compare the plots of American Beauty and Fight Club, I don't think that they were too different. Both movies feature main characters that have gotten tired of modern life and are looking for something that makes them feel alive, only American Beauty is from a Baby Boomer's perspective and Fight Club is Generation X's. I think that Fight Club and Boys Don't Cry should have been nominated for Best Picture, and that The Green Mile should have won that year, instead of American Beauty.

2008:
Into The Wild, the 2007 film starring Emile Hirsch, was nominated for Best Editing, and Best Supporting Actor for Hal Holbrook's performance in it. I think that Emile Hirsch should have been nominated for Best Actor, and that the movie should have been nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay. Into The Wild is one of my favorite movies from 2007 and one of the best movies I have ever seen.

2009:
The Dark Knight, the 2008 film starring Christian Bale and Heath Ledger, was nominated for several technical awards and won Best Sound Editing and Best Supporting Actor for Heath Ledger's performance. I think that The Dark Knight should have also been nominated for Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Score. The Dark Knight is one of my Top 3 favorite movies of 2008.

2010:
(500) Days Of Summer, the 2009 film starring Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, was not nominated for any Oscars. I think that it should have been nominated for Best Original Screenplay and especially Best Picture, since the Best Picture category was expanded last year to include 10 movies. It is amazing to me how The Hurt Locker and A Serious Man were nominated for Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay and (500) Days Of Summer was left out. (500) Days Of Summer is one of my Top 3 favorite movies of 2009.

The Soloist, the 2009 film starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx was not nominated for any Oscars. I think that Jamie Foxx definitely should have been nominated for Best Actor for his performance, instead of George Clooney for Up In The Air or Jeremy Renner for The Hurt Locker.

Inglourious Basterds, the 2009 film starring Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz, was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and a few technical awards. It won Best Supporting Actor for Christoph Waltz, who really deserved it. However, Melanie Laurent was not nominated for her performance, which I think drives the entire movie and gives it heart, which it might not otherwise have. Inglourious Basterds is one of my Top 3 favorite movies of 2009.

Where The Wild Things Are, the 2009 film starring Max Records and Catherine Keener, was not nominated for any Oscars. Where The Wild Things Are is one of my favorite movies of 2009, and I was really surprised it didn't get nominated for Best Picture, especially with the expanded Best Picture category.

Mary & Max, the 2009 animated film featuring the voices of Toni Collette and Philip Seymour Hoffman, was not nominated Best Animated Picture. I saw this movie last year, and I thought it was amazing. It's one of my favorite movies of 2009 and one of the best animated movies I've ever seen. I'm really surprised how it didn't get nominated but Coraline and Fantastic Mr. Fox did. I know that even if it had been nominated, it wouldn't have had a chance against Up (one of my Top 3 favorite movies of 2009), but it still would have been nice.

1 comment:

Aunt N said...

It`s interesting, amazing why some great pics do get nominated but don`t win a single award. If you remember watching "The Elephant Man" in senior drama class, you may remember me telling the class that the film was nominated for eight Oscars in 1980 and did not receive one. How could John Hurt be bypassed????