Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Movie Review-Hunger




Rating-R
Director-Steve McQueen
Actors-Stuart Graham, Michael Fassbender
Genre-Biography/Drama
Year-2008

Hunger (The Criterion Collection)

“Hunger” is a great movie with an amazing performance by Michael Fassbender. It is about Bobby Sands, an I.R.A. leader who went on a hunger strike in 1981 while in the Maze Prison in Northern Ireland. “Hunger” isn’t a straightforward biographical movie. It starts off by introducing one of the prison guards, Raymond (Stuart Graham), and showing his interactions with other guards, as well as the often brutal treatment of the prisoners. It also focuses on a few earlier protests that were started by Bobby (Michael Fassbender) before detailing the hunger strike. The movie takes its time with the story, and instead focuses more on the day-to-day lives of the guards and the prisoners. This is probably the first movie set in a prison I’ve seen that felt the most realistic. This movie can be hard to watch at times, but it is definitely worth checking out. “Hunger” is available to watch on Netflix, and I really recommend it.
























1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't know what the big deal was with Fassbender, since I first saw him in X-Men (which sucked lbh).But after seeing Shame last week, I now get the hype, which I don't think he's getting enough of (he wasn't even nominated for an Oscar for Shame). Thus, I have Hunger on my queue and I cannot wait to watch it.