Friday, April 20, 2012

Movies I Watched Last Week 8




The Iron Lady


The Iron Lady (2011, Rating: PG-13, Director: Phyllida Lloyd) (My Rating: 2.5/5 The Iron Lady is about former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher's life story. I thought the movie was interesting, because I didn't know very much about Margaret Thatcher before I watched this. I thought the movie was decent. Some of the dialogue was very cliched. Meryl Streep's performance as Margaret Thatcher was amazing, though. When I watched the Oscars in February, I had really wanted Viola Davis to win Best Actress for her performance in The Help. I was very disappointed at the time that Meryl Streep had won Best Actress. However, while I watched The Iron Lady, I was blown away by Meryl Streep's performance, especially in the scenes where Margaret Thatcher is older and struggling with dementia. I wasn't upset that Meryl Streep had won Best Actress after seeing The Iron Lady.





A Dangerous Method


A Dangerous Method (2011, Rating: R, Director: David Cronenberg) (My Rating: 3.5/5) A Dangerous Method is about the friendship between the famous psychologists Sigmund Freud (Viggo Mortensen) and Carl Jung (Michael Fassbender), and about a patient that Jung worked with named Sabina Spielrein (Keira Knightly). This movie had a very interesting story and great acting, especially by Keira Knightly, in the best performance I've seen by her.




Melancholia


Melancholia (2011, Rating: R: Director: Lars Von Trier) (My Rating: 3/5) Melancholia is about a woman named Justine (Kirsten Dunst) who has just gotten married and is struggling with depression. While staying with her sister Claire (Charlotte Gainsbourg), Justine discovers that a small planet called "Melancholia" is heading towards Earth and may destroy it. This movie was very unique, although not great. However, I thought the last twenty minutes were totally compelling. I thought Kirsten Dunst's performance was the best one I've seen by her.







Tower Heist (2011, Rating: PG-13, Director: Brett Ratner) (My Rating: 2/5) Tower Heist is about employees at a hotel who discover that their boss has taken their life savings in a Ponzi scheme. The employees, Josh (Ben Stiller) Charlie (Casey Affleck), and Enrique (Michael Pena),  hire a thief nicknamed Slide (Eddie Murphy) to help them break into the building and unlock a safe, which has their money. I sort of enjoyed this movie, but Eddie Murphy's character's almost nonstop gay jokes really annoyed me. The best thing about the movie for me was the entertaining performance by Gabourey Sidibe, who played a maid at the hotel who turns out to be an expert safecracker.

No comments: