Saturday, March 3, 2012

Movie Review-Withnail & I

Title-"Withnail & I"
Rating-R
Director-Bruce Robinson
Actors-Richard E. Grant, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths
Genre-Comedy/Drama
Year-1987

Withnail and I

"Withnail & I" is a great movie. I can't believe it took me this long to get around to seeing it. "Withnail & I" is about two friends who are unemployed actors in Britain in the late 1960's, known by their last names, Withnail (Richard E. Grant) and Marwood (Paul McGann). They are living in a dirty apartment, often drinking too much, when one day Withnail asks his eccentric uncle Monty (Richard Griffiths) to borrow his cabin in the country for a vacation. When Withnail and Marwood arrive at the cabin (forgetting to bring the neccesary supplies with them), they discover that the cabin is more rustic than they thought. Much of the movie's comedy comes from Withnail and Marwood struggling to adapt to their new surroundings (a scene where Withnail tries to cook a chicken is one of the highlights). I liked that while the movie is often very funny, it's also aware of the sadness of Withnail and Marwood's lives, particularly Withnail's. The ending is one of the most affecting scenes I've ever watched. "Withnail & I" has great performances by Paul McGann, and especially by Richard E. Grant, who I think was worthy of an Oscar nomination. "Withnail & I" is available to watch for free on www.youtube.com and I really recommend watching it.

No comments: