Monday, February 27, 2012

The Oscars-2012

I thought last night's Oscars was a good show. I was happy with most of the winners. I thought Billy Crystal as host was decent, but I was a bit disappointed. I really like Billy Crystal, but I thought he might have been better. Aside from a few good jokes, there was nothing really memorable about his hosting. He wasn't as funny or as interesting as I expected him to be.

The most memorable non-awards parts of the show for me were the Cirque De Soleil act, which I thought was really cool and fun to watch, and the skit about people in a focus group for the movie, The Wizard Of Oz, which was very funny.

I was happy that Rango won for Best Animated Picture. It was different than the movies that usually win that award, because Rango is more for teenagers and adults. That movie had a very smart script that didn't talk down to its audience, with a lot of clever movie references.

The awards I was happiest about were Octavia Spencer winning Best Supporting Actress for The Help, Christopher Plummer winning Best Supporter Actor for Beginners, and Woody Allen winning Best Original Screenplay for Midnight In Paris.

The things I was disappointed about were Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 not winning anything (I thought it should have won Best Makeup and Best Visual Effects), The Descendants winning Best Adapted Screenplay (I thought Moneyball or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy were more deserving), Meryl Streep winning Best Actress for The Iron Lady (I haven't seen The Iron Lady yet, and I'm sure Meryl Streep was predictably great in it, but I really wanted Viola Davis to win for her wonderful performance in The Help), and that there were no live performances this year in the Best Original Song category.

Out of the six nominees for Best Picture I've seen so far, I would have picked The Help or Midnight In Paris to win. However, I've read that The Artist is a great movie, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it, so I was fine with it winning.

No comments: